Underground Lounge
Don't just sit there, log in! Please?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Underground Lounge
Don't just sit there, log in! Please?
Underground Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disapointing games?

Go down

Disapointing games? Empty Disapointing games?

Post  Vahi5 Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:55 am

Have you ever played a Tabletop game that turned out to be a disapointment?

I have, Dicecapades. One would think that a game with over 100 dice would have some truly intense gameplay.

Not. Even. Close. ZippoDicky, The Midget, and I tried it tonight... And The Midget agreed with me that it's not the best game. Zippo didn't stay around long enough to give us his opinion.

The dice don't actually determine your fate for the most part... It's what the players know and what their abilities are. The dice only select what your challenge criteria are, and sometimes most of the time, that's only a number or what your action or trivia question is (and for the later two, it's usually a custom die that has a different color on each face that's solely used). And, to tell you the truth, it seems like the game was designed for younger players, early-mid teens, probably.

With the game's overall gameplay as it is, it truly eludes me as to how it won multiple awards, as atated on the box. Wining challenges determines your movement, and your challenges are determined by your position on the board and a deck of cards. Which has a flawed execution, by the way, because the board is divided in thirds, each color coded with its own set of challenges. That means you know what kind of general challenge you'll get, either an action, a puzzle, or a trivia question. This dilutes the suspense. It's like comparing a Hineken to a can of Budwieser that's been dumped into an olympic pool. Either way, it's weak sauce.

I should probably stop here, before I launch into a four-page essay, but I conclude with this:

Whoever was in charge of making the actions and trivia questions was lazy, as with these cards, you have a 1/6 chance to pck your own. That's right, this option's on 2/3 of the cards. Laziness, I say! The bottom line: I spent $27 on a game that would probably be put to better use if I parted it out; there's enough dice for about 6 D&D players, an entire GURPS session, your creepy cousin's voodoo prediction ritual, and a round of dice poker, and I might be able to make a game that's not filler and fluff if I modified the board, added some kind of scoring system, and maybe a system to pawn a challenge off on someone else for part of the reward.

SO, anyone else have any tabletop disapointments?
Vahi5
Vahi5
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name: Juno
Hacker Type: Attack Virus Programmer
Favorite program: Wolf_Spyderbyte

https://underlounge.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum